Thursday, March 12, 2009

Proposal Ideas 1

In thinking about my proposal, I'm trying to remember my interests in identity.. in the ideas below I'm thinking about 'realness' and identity and the technique would be digital camera and digital manipulation.

Un/Masked:
From before, during and after the moment of awareness. My assumption being that 'unmasked' is a moment of genuineness - the real person before they assume one of their public masks. I imagined taking series of photos of people unaware of my presence and lost in themselves and then continuing to shoot as they become aware of me.

Obsessive Surveillance:
Having just seen the latest episode of 'Skins' (UK teens trying to discover themselves, particularly their sexual identity, see http://www.e4.com/skins/guide-series2-episode2.html) in which a young woman obsessively follows and photographs a young man in sitations where he is both unaware and lost in himself and with a public mask on, I wondered if I could do something similar. Perhaps of my husband...the idea being not questions of fidelity, but about well do I know the real person. Presented in some kind of photo-wall I'd have many many versions of my partner, many many versions of my partner. There would be some that I know, some I don't and some where he is completely himself and others where he is utterly masked.

No comments:

Post a Comment